Sunday, March 1, 2015

Not-Laura Leek and Mushroom Chicken Skillet (with bonus ingredients!)

The other day I made my version of Iowa Girl Eats Leek and Mushroom Chicken Skillet. This recipe is really not me. It isn't spicy, there's no curry powder, and there isn't even that much garlic. I had to buy fresh tarragon. This is not something I would normally make.

leeks = fancy
But you know what? I got out of my comfort zone, and it was delicious! My good friend Kathryn recommended I try this out and I'm so glad she did. The pounded, almond-flour dusted chicken cooks quickly and has a delicious crispy crust. The leek and mushroom "pan sauce" seems fancy and indulgent, but is really just a quick chop of veggies in chicken broth. The fresh tarragon lent an unexpected, almost licorice-y flavor - and made me feel sophisticated, to boot. Wins all around!

I've gotten some feedback that my posts tend to have too many ingredients - this is because I don't know when to say when. I'm of the "more is better" mindset (SHOUT OUT MAMA J).  Going forward I'll try to differentiate between "gotta have" and "nice to have" ingredients to show when recipes can be simplified! I added sun dried tomatoes and bacon to this recipe, because why not?

You'll need:
1 lb chicken breasts, pounded thin
1/4 c all-purpose flour (I used almond flour)
Salt and pep
2 T butter, divided
Drizzle of olive oil
3-4 pieces bacon, chopped*
1/3 c chopped sun dried tomatoes (I like these from TJ's)*
6 oz sliced mushrooms
2 leeks, white and green parts only, thinly sliced (verbose but thorough leek cleaning & slicing tutorial)
1 shallot or 1/4 small onion, minced*
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 c chicken broth
1 packed T chopped fresh tarragon
juice from 1/2 lemon
* = nice to haves

We begin by pounding the chicken. This is always a good idea so the chicken cooks evenly, and in MUCH less time. My preferred method is putting the chicken in a large Ziploc bag, sealing it, and wailing on it with the heel of my hand. This time I was a little more refined and used a tenderizer. 

Action shot
 Add 1 T butter and a drizzle of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Mix flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish and dredge chicken breasts before adding to skillet. Make sure you allow the pan to come to temperature before you add the chicken! Or you will feel regret!

 Saute until golden brown on both sides, which took me about 3 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside. Note that chicken doesn't need to be cooked through at this point.

Dredge thumbs up!

So golden, so brown
 
Now it's time to get to business. I highly recommend prepping the veggies prior to starting the pan sauce. Prepped? Ready? Onward!

Add the chopped bacon to the skillet and cook until almost crispy - about 4 minutes. Add the shallot, mushrooms, leeks, and sun-dried tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper, and saute until mushrooms are golden brown and tender - the recipe says 5 minutes, but I think this took me more like 10. Don't forget to stir!

Leeks on fleek (too much?!?)
Add the other T of butter and the garlic and saute for one more minute. Disclaimer - this butter was totally gratuitous and you probably don't need it, but I had it out and was just feeling it. Add chicken broth and tarragon, then nestle (yes, nestle!) chicken back into skillet and simmer until sauce has thickened and reduced, and chicken is cooked through, 3-4 minutes. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice over the skillet and stir to combine. 

Shown: nestled
To serve, I ended up removing the chicken from the pan, cutting into portions, and spooning the sauce on top. In the end...this isn't really a sauce. It's more like an awesome...hash? Veggie bacon compote? If you come up with an adequate description, please let me know! We had these with easy roasted brussels, but this would also be great with a simple salad, roasted potatoes, or just some crusty bread (crusty bread is always appropriate). Hope you like it!

gimme gimme

1 comment:

  1. looks relish to me! since when is more not better!!!!

    ReplyDelete