Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Ch-Ch-Ch-Chimichurri Flank Steak

My boyfriend is a sauce man. I'd say an extreme sauce man. One time when we were at a baseball game he got THIS much ketchup with garlic fries: 
 
Slightly unreasonable

Love of the sauce is what prompted us to start making chimichurri. I've tried a few recipes and this one from Bon Appetit is my favorite. There are a few changes in my version below, which I'd say is even better than the original! #brag

I like to use flank steak, but you could put this sauce on anything - chicken, fish, veggies, or eggs if you're crazy. 

You'll need:
1/2 c red wine vinegar
1 t kosher salt
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1 jalapeno, finely chopped (I removed 1/2 of the seeds)
1/2 c minced fresh cilantro
1/4 c minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 c minced fresh mint
2 T minced fresh oregano
3/4 c extra-virgin olive oil

Combine vinegar, salt, garlic, shallot, and jalapeno in a medium bowl. Let stand for about 10 minutes while you chop up all those fresh herbs. Throw those herbs in there, and then use a fork to whisk in the oil. Remove 1/2 c or so of the sauce to a small bowl, season with some additional salt, and put aside for a sauce. 

Take your flank steak and stab it all over with a fork. DISCLAIMER: I don't know if this really does anything - growing up we always had to stab meats excessively before marinating, so I wanted to keep the tradition alive. Cover the steak all over with the ch-ch-ch-chimichurri and let it marinate for 3 hours to overnight. 

Hello, beautiful!
When you're ready to rumble, set your oven to broil and move a rack to the top of the oven. Line a baking sheet with foil and place the steak in the center. Broil on each side for 5 minutes. When done, allow the steak to rest for 10 minutes. This part is important! And hard! 


Slice that bad boy against the grain and serve with the reserved extra sauce. So good! So fresh! So saucy!



I paired this with a smoky kale caesar, which I'll post soon!

1 comment:

  1. Mouth is watering! I love sauce too thanks for sharing LV!

    ReplyDelete